4.3.10

Fear of Flying



Marge: [panicked] I think I'll go get a picture of the plane taking off.
[struggles with her seat belt]
Homer: Marge, what's wrong? Are you hungry? Sleepy? Gassy? Is it
gas? It's gas, isn't it?
Marge: Homer, I've never told you this before, but I'm not a good flyer.
[pants, gasps] I have to get off the plane. Let me off the
plane. [stands up] I'm asking you nicely to open the doors!
Homer: Take it easy, Marge. How about if we dope you up real good?
Marge: [screaming] Let me off let me off let me off let me off let me
off let me off -- [runs up and down the aisle]
[the plane takes off as the family watches]
Homer: It's OK, Marge. We don't need to go on a trip; we'll just wait
for the killer bees to come to us.

Watch
Fear of Flying.

Answer the following question:

Marge is afraid of flying. She goes to see a behavioural psychologist. The psychologist recommends systematic desensitisation as  a treatment for her fear of flying.

(a) Marge goes to see a behavioural psychologist. Outline key features of the behavioural approach to psychopathology. (6 marks)

(b) Explain how systematic desensitisation might be carried out to overcome Marge's fear of flying. (6 marks)

No comments: